The National Road is designated by the U.S. Government as an All American Road and Scenic By-Way. From the day that the National Road (a Federally funded road) was opened, transportation was the mainstay of the citizens of this busy place with its, inns, taverns, wagon stands, tanneries, wagon makers, blacksmiths, shoemakers, and buggy whip makers. The Petersburg Toll House, now a national historic landmark, was Gate #1 when the travelers entered the Commonwealth from Maryland in 1835. The toll keeper exacted tolls from those passing through, according to their manner of conveyance or size of their herd.
Today the travelers come to Addison to visit the Petersburg Toll House, the Frederick Augustine House & Visitor Center, the Petersburg-Addison Museum, the Humberson one-room schoolhouse and other close-by attractions such as the Youghiogheny Lake, Fort Necessity, Braddock’s Grave, Ohiopyle (white water rafting), Fallingwater and Nemacolin Woodlands.